I have not posted in a while, as I have been busy with other things. After a wet and rainy August, September started of nice enough and the garden was/is in serious need of some TLC. I have harvested what I could an now, there is not much left to harvest and weeds are growing like crazy.
So what has been going on:
- · I have cleaned the strawberries and planted about 100 more plants for next year
- · I have ripped out both the bush and climbing beans last weekend
- · fodder crops have been harvested and fed to the rabbits
- · I have a handful of carrots and onions still in the ground
- · Some of the kale that I already cut of started to grow again
- · Cucumbers didn’t grow due to the rain, so I chucked them out a few weeks ago
- · Blackberries are still being harvested
- · I cut back the fruit bushes (raspberry, gooseberry, currents)
- · I cleaned out the weeds in between the fruit bushes
- · In the process to covered more grass area into soil for next year
I still have to pull out lot’s and lot’s of weeds and prepare the garden for winter. In between that I am preserving tomatoes. I have looked forward to the tomato harvest all year. I love tomatoes and could not wait for the moment to harvest them. I am swimming in tomoatoes right now, potentially even have to many but please don’t tell anyone I said, that I might have too many.
So far I have made tomato sauce, catchup and salsa, that will last me a year. Now I am busy cookind freezing tomato soup and in between I have tomato salad for dinner about 4 times a week. Oh yeah life in tomato land is great.
Oh and I also received two buckets full of pears from my neighbor, so I canned 21 1liter jars of pears this weekend too.